Corvetteforum Deutschland
Jack aus Maine möchte mit seiner 66er C2 Europa bereisen - Tipps? - Druckversion

+- Corvetteforum Deutschland (https://www.corvetteforum.de)
+-- Forum: Other Vette-Stuff (https://www.corvetteforum.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Wer weiß was (https://www.corvetteforum.de/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thema: Jack aus Maine möchte mit seiner 66er C2 Europa bereisen - Tipps? (/showthread.php?tid=52062)

- ZEH5didditz - 27.01.2015

haarsträubend haarsträubend haarsträubend Hi Jack. Are you safe of Juno? We heard it is a terrible blizzard runing over NY, Maine and the east coast. I hope you and your family are safe in a warm livingroom.!! Blume The next spring will come...
Greets Dieter Patriot

Update Restoration 2015 - Jack Panzica - 16.03.2015

Gary Ramadei is working on the rear end and I should have it by late April. (Great Rear End Man) lol

What started as a stuck plug has changed into a Under body restoration.

First the plug would not come out, then the rear end blew, and before you know it project creep.

Well I finally got the plug out. I had to remove the welded muffler pipe and header pipe, and after many failed attempts, I used an Irwin stripped bolt remover socket. I heated the plug, I put penetrate on it, I froze it.

I had to remove the pipe to be able to hammer on the socket, once on, I could use the long ratchet to remove it. Out it came see photos.

The #4 body mount bolt is the one that has me working hard.

Got the parts out of car

[Bild: IMG_2722_zpseolrhtgg.jpg]

Car ready for additional work

[Bild: IMG_4559_zpsebor8azp.jpg]

Seats have to go

[Bild: IMG_4560_zpsulxegwbi.jpg]

[Bild: IMG_4564_zpsvqu6wdrh.jpg]

Here I go..and it came out

[Bild: IMG_4566_zpshk3ggvyz.jpg]

See the plug and socket

[Bild: IMG_4565_zps2u2vpx3h.jpg]

[Bild: IMG_4569_zpsgomrkwrl.jpg]

Now fun with # 4 body mount

[Bild: IMG_4562_zpssydfdzft.jpg]

[Bild: IMG_4563_zpsot9h8nd0.jpg]

Cleaned up a bit

[Bild: IMG_4571_zpsc7gb4vxb.jpg]

# 4 Body Mount - Jack Panzica - 18.03.2015

Hello to all,

We left off with the bolts soaking and all the rubber peeled away on # 4 mount.

I went out this afternoon to soak the bolts again and while there I picked a bit at the bushing sleeve and bolt.

I decided to give the bolt a little bit of a turn. The result, the bolt came out with the nut . The nut capture cage is not rusted , but the frame mount and and mount reinforcement was rusted, one turn and out it popped.

I will let you all give me advice on what to do next. I do not weld !

Mount with rubber still on it

[Bild: 4%20mount%20rubber_zpsdc0dywpt.jpg]

Bolt and nut with bushing sleeve

[Bild: Bolt%20Nut_zpso2eqy30z.jpg]

Frame mount and nut cage

[Bild: 4%20frame%20mount_zpsbhf6w354.jpg]

Side view

[Bild: 4%20mount%20side_zpsm06gg195.jpg]

- Porter - 18.03.2015

Hi Jack,

know this place of the car too.
Don´t want to know how many doesn´t.

[Bild: 21315265wz.jpg]

Good Luck Hallo-gruen , ...........

You need the proper clothes to work on Corvettes - Jack Panzica - 20.03.2015

I went out to the garage , forgot to change my clothes, I was just going to spray a little more penetrate on the bolt holding the reinforcement plate.

Well I could not resist putting a ratchet to the bolt. I forgot to take the deck off and just reached in . It took a while to get the right extractor socket on the bolt . 9/16 to big , 1/2 to small. You must be able to hammer the socket on to really get them to work.

After 10 minutes, I put my big wrench to it. The one that I am always told not use. Well one click at a time the bolt came out. It took about 20 minutes to get it out, not hard , just one little click because of the tight space.

I was them able to remove the rusted mount reinforcement plate . Once removed , I will be able to put a small piece of fiberglass over the hole to hold the nut in the cage. The cage was not rusted . The new reinforcement plate for the # 4 mount will secure the bushing to the body.

I will then be able to fabricate a retaining plate for the # 4 frame mount which had a rusted out hole. The mount is good. I will get the plate welded to the mount once I have the car on the road.

I was very fortunate to not have a rusted out deck hinge area. All the rust was in the wheel well, except for the retainer bolt. It was only a few inches away from the rusted bushing.....

Here are the photos

Ratchet in place with a little hammer to hit socket on to bolt

[Bild: %204%20mount%20socket%20extract_zps3ybfayff.jpg]

View of position of extraction

[Bild: %204%20mount%20extraction_zpsllwjultm.jpg]

The rusted plate # 4

[Bild: %204%20mount%20rusted%20plate%201_zpsxtndjgjw.jpg]

49 year old bolt with very little rust

[Bild: %204%20Mounting%20bolt_zpsovsevxtw.jpg]

The old bushing and plate

[Bild: %204%20bushing%20-%20reinforcement_zpseqvhngsx.jpg]

# 4 mount after clean up

[Bild: %204%20Mount%20view%20clean_zpsggfm3owp.jpg]

Close up of nut and cage - rivets still holding it in with very little rust

[Bild: %204%20Clean%20view%20c_zpsdtim5ztu.jpg]

View from below of mount

[Bild: %204%20Clean%20view%20d_zps5rtphuvx.jpg]

Give the Car back - 6TVette - 20.03.2015

Jack

German car manufacturers take cars with high troublefree milages back and refund the owner with a new current Modell. You should contact Bowling Green and ask for their comments to this.

Your Vette is a Celebrity on ist own and worth to be exhibited. Including tear and wear and your seat covers.

Good Luck

Rear End update - Jack Panzica - 23.03.2015

As you all know, this started out as a stuck plug on my tranny. Well the rear end blew and I got a chance to take the rear down to Gary Ramadei, in New Haven CT. He is one of the best re-builders in the country.

He did my steering box and now the rear.

Here are the photos of Gary at work doing a preliminary inspection of my rear. As you know, it was a mess after blowing up a few months ago.

The posi unit would not come out even with the side yokes removed. Gary will use a case spreader later in week to spread the side walls of case so that the bearings and posi can be removed. We tried with a pry bar but could only get it half way out.

I will have follow up photos as Gary sends them to me next week.

The end result will be a rear that will go from 3:70 back to the original 3:36 that the car was born with.

The arrival

[Bild: 1Lifting%20off%20cart_zpsmqrqg7cr.jpg]

Proper mounting needed to work on rear

[Bild: 3mounted_zpscvkhwdke.jpg]

Cover is off and that look is not good !

[Bild: What%20happen_zps6fwbkx2t.jpg]

You expect me to fix this ?

[Bild: 4One%20look%20inside_zpssk8j49td.jpg]

[Bild: 5taking%20capes%20off_zpsafr575k6.jpg]

Oh my ! what do we have here ?

[Bild: Not%20pretty_zpsmeamvuje.jpg]

Need a big wrench to turn the unit to get at snap rings

[Bild: Big%20wrench_zpspgjpk7fk.jpg]

Got them off after a bit of work

[Bild: 5snap%20ring%20off_zpsspki7yfb.jpg]

Pry Bar did not work

[Bild: Pry%20bar_zps8npgobit.jpg]

Needed a big hammer to get the side yokes to come out, usually they side right out but the case is a little twinkled

[Bild: 7Big%20Hammer_zpsfrquyl7i.jpg]

Side yokes removed

[Bild: Iphone%20all%20390_zpswcnebtp0.jpg]

Corvette Vagabond's car is 49 years old today! - Jack Panzica - 07.04.2015

I have been fortunate to own the car for 45 of it's 49 years. 46,000 miles on it when I bought it from original owner. Now pushing 300,000 and 4 restorations, visits to 48 states and 15 European countries.

Not bad for an old sports car

Jack

[Bild: FirstSnow2012001.jpg]

- Porter - 07.04.2015

Not bad for an o.. No: not bad for a real Vette-Owner Großes Grinsen

Hallo-gruen , .........

- Markstingray - 07.04.2015

Hy Jack,

Your car is really great. It was a good experience
Driving it as we met last time!